STOP incessant calls from 18776222662 FIDO PROMOTIONAL SERVICES

*Edit: November 2011 – Rogers does this too. >:( See my new post about this at http://beverlywu.com/2011/11/29/18554654015-is-rogers-promotional-services/

*Edit: September 2011 – Thanks to Amoux who left an updated link in the comments to the new website for the National Do Not Call Registry – now located at http://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/ .*

*Edit: May 2011 – a comment left by a reader suggests calling 1-877-622-2662, where they will give you the option of pressing 1 to have your number removed from the system. Can someone please try it out and comment here if it works? Lots of people with the same problem still finding this post almost three years after it was written. Thanks, readers!*

*Edit: June 2010 – This is my single most popular blog post so I know a lot of you are ANGRY out there, but just a note that if you leave comments containing abusive language, I will not approve them. But you have my sympathy.*

YAY! So I’ve been getting lots of mystery calls from 18776222662 for the past couple weeks, to my great annoyance, that hang on DEAD AIR or go “beep beep beep” when I answer, indicating that my call has failed. A quick GOOGLE of 18776222662 revealed many other people with the same problem, with some people waiting out the 10 or 15 seconds of dead air to finally be connected with FIDO PROMOTIONAL SERVICES.

All I will say is that Fido needs to get new telemarketing technology, because dead air, failed calls, and incessant calling will not buy them any new customers.

SO, I decided to call 611 from my Fido (free of charge), and speak to somebody about this. It is important, whenever you call Fido, to not fall into the trap of pressing “0″ right off the bat. You go to the end of the queue, and it will take you bloody forever to get to a customer service representative, a.k.a. Real Live Person. You must instead jump through the hoops (account information >> all other inquires >> “0″ for customer service) to get a shorter wait time on hold. This is totally scientific and reproducible too – Steve and I once had a competition: I called customer service from a store kiosk, and the lady pressed “0″ right away, whereas Steve jumped through the hoops. His line picked up a good 5 minutes or more before my line. AND NOT TO MENTION THE many many times I have called customer service otherwise…definitely a shorter wait time if you don’t press “0″ right away.

Long story short, it takes Fido 30 days to take me off their promotional list, but after that…NO MORE MYSTERY CALLS!!! (not sure if they’ll count your minutes on these calls, but if you happen to be out of town when they call you, you can be DAMMED SURE that they’ll charge you PLENTY for ROAMING CHARGES!!!)

Related story – put yourself on Canada’s newly introduced (September 30, 2008) National Do Not Call List, which can be found at http://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/. Very useful.

About these ads

21 Comments (+add yours?)

1. elizabeth
    Jun 01, 2010 @ 11:10:03

lol – i just had a call from 18776222662 – and i ignored+googled the number to see what was up – glad to find your post :D it is most helpful xD

2. rachel
    Jul 14, 2010 @ 11:16:06

geezz.. i’ve been getting calls from this number for at least the past week and annoyed by them. They don’t leave a message either although my voice mail is working perfectly. I finally googled it to see if it’s something important (although i know that 1800 numbers are NEVER important) and see if I should pick up the next time they call.

Glad to find this post and not some other random post offering to track number for me (aka spam)! :) Thanks!!

3. lucas
    Aug 23, 2010 @ 13:55:17

Fido should be revise this policy before loosing much of its customers this is irritating

4. Mynny
    Dec 15, 2010 @ 17:22:54

Holy, yeah, this stupid call comes to me more than 6 times everyday
    and it is pissing me off -_-
    Thank you about the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It is the most helpful :)

5. Mish
    Feb 02, 2011 @ 15:52:12

You know, I DID put our number on that National Do Not Call list and it hasn’t helped! : ( It’s SOOO incredibly annoying with these numbers calling not only my land line but now my CELL!! A lot are Scams so just be careful. Has any one tried to Text back to this number???

6. J
    Feb 03, 2011 @ 13:44:15

OMG 5 times a day! Those jerks! I just text “stop” to them actually, to see if it works like it does with other phone services! TO NO AVAIL! lol Boo FIDO for failed annoying service. What is the point, can’t you see I frequently miss bill payments, If I can barley afford the phone service I have now… then why would you call me so I can spend MORE money that I don’t have! HAHA.

Im going to call 611 now. Thanks for the tip!

7. Dorothy
    May 26, 2011 @ 13:21:22

I just called the number and it gives you the option of pressing 1 to have your number removed from the system. I hope it works, they’ve been driving me crazy!

8. Nicole
    Jun 08, 2011 @ 15:15:42

The calls from this number is the main reason I finally switched to Bell for my cell phone service. They would call several times day, for several days in a row, before giving it a rest for two or three weeks and then starting up again; despite my repeated requests (some of which were, ummm, less than polite) that they stop.

I thought I had finally seen the last of them, but I found a missed call from 1 877 622 2662 on my new Bell phone this afternoon. I’m on the national Do Not Call list and am no longer a Fido customer, so there is no reason for them to be calling me…in fact, I didn’t think that they were allowed to call me anymore now that I’m on the list and not a Fido customer
    :-(

Anyway, I called back and selected the “press 1 to have your number removed from our list” option. I’ll post again one month from today to let you know whether or not it worked.

9. Besi
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 15:49:38

stupid Fido.

10. Nicole
    Aug 15, 2011 @ 07:47:38

Well, it seems to have worked. I haven’t received any calls from 1-877-622-2662 since early June, so it would seem that calling them back and selecting the “remove me from your calling list” really does work.

11. Amoux
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 13:07:54

Updated link to reach the National Do Not Call list: https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/

12. angelina2600
    Nov 25, 2011 @ 09:03:15

i ignored it. ah fido, i love you and i hate you for having unsolicited calls. I am fine with your service really, and please stop making these calls, or i won’t be happy with you fido.

thank you for taking time to post this one.

angie

13. Andrée Passiant
    Dec 21, 2011 @ 06:03:51

I had the very same problem, and was given the way to resolve it.
    It’s easy.
    When you receive your next call,from that number, you answer it.
    When He or She checks your identity, you give it, but right after, you interrupt the salesperson from Fido, and you say that you do not want to listen to the salespitch, BUT that you want your phone number on the :
    ” do not call list ” from Fido.
    By law, they HAVE to obey you.

Following that phone call, if ever you receive another one from them, you call :
    1-866-580-3625 and you let them know. They would deal with it rrom there. But only if you already did notify the caller from Fido.

I know, I did it , and it worked !
    Good luck to everybody,
    Andrée

14. yvonne
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 20:07:44

fido is so stupid lately~~they call twice a day,a dayyyyyy!!!and they t quiet annoying thought, everytimes i pick up, they offer my a stupid plan ,i said, idont want it, they r like they dont get wt im saying. now still keepcalling me every day!!f…
    OMG stop calling me!!!

• benit0zk
      Apr 27, 2012 @ 09:37:16

Twice a day considered you are LUCKY!! I got a call from them last night (didn’t know it was Fido), told them I have no time to do their survey. Just got 8 calls from them within the last 30 minutes!!!! Ignored the first 6 then picked/hanged up the other 2 instantly.

I just posted on their FB wall telled them STOP BOMBARDING me with survey phone calls.

15. Paul
    Jul 03, 2012 @ 10:52:11

Added it to my reject list, thanks for this post

16. Sab
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 15:18:34

the National Do Not Call don’t work! i have been on the list ever since they started this program and i still got ramdon calls all the times.
    anyway, i got a call from 1-877-622-2662 couple times this week, i call back the number and it asked me to press 1 to it my phone number removed from their system or something like that.

17. A Smith
    Dec 10, 2012 @ 11:14:01

This number just called me, I did not answer, I googled the number instead and found your post. I am not with Fido or Rogers – how did I end up on their promo list? For those that don’t know The National Do Not Call List does not work at all. It never has. In fact it results in being put onto many lists. I am pretty sure someone on the inside is selling the info received there or their system is not secure and it gets hacked regularly, but I’m just guessing… but if you search you will find many complaints about the NDNCL.

18. A Smith
    Dec 10, 2012 @ 11:23:16

I just called the number back to enter “1″ as suggested here. I thought I would note that is not directly Fido making these calls, it is a company called Equinox on behalf of Fido. Fido has outsourced its promotional calling. It may be worth someone writing to Fido about what a terrible job Equinox does for them…if you are their customer and care. I am not with Fido anymore and never ever will be ever again so I do not care one itty bit.

19. sdsouza
    Jan 17, 2013 @ 15:11:37

we still get calls. Got a call today from this number. We called 611, and they kept me on hold forever. Nothing works…FIDO customer service agent did nothing about it.. Damn……

20. Jitika
    Oct 21, 2013 @ 09:48:05

Registered on the Do not call list. Thanks for the suggestion Beverly :)